Mamilla and treating nipple fissures and painful nipples
What are nipple fissures?
Nipple fissures are painful small cracks that can occur on your nipples and areolas. They are especially common in women who are breastfeeding. Nipple fissures can bleed and be very painful, making it difficult to breastfeed and convincing many women to quit the practice as soon as possible. Proper care and protection can prevent painful nipple fissures and even infections.
Nipple fissures or painful nipples can be due to:
- the way in which your baby latches;
- friction or irritation (from clothing or your bra);
- if your nipples remain damp (from wet nursing pads/vaseline/lanoline);
- a short frenulum;
- breastfeeding for too long;
- using excessive soap;
- using lotions or creams;
Prevent nipple fissures when breastfeeding by following these tips
- Do not use nipple shields or breast shells as they exacerbate fissures. They keep your skin moist when breastfeeding, making it more sensitive to injury. Moreover, your baby will struggle to empty your breast if a nipple shield is attached, which can result in engorgement and fresh fissures.
- Wear a cotton bra and never wear clothing made of synthetic material
- Use cotton nursing pads to provide your nipples with extra protection - never use plastic ones! Rub a little Mamilla nipple fissure balm or oil into them.
- Prevent engorgement. Engorgement means that your baby will struggle to latch, raising the chances of developing fissures.
- Nurse your baby more frequently (for a while) and decrease the time between feeds. That will mean she or he is not as hungry and will not suck as greedily.
- Replace nursing pads regularly. Wet nursing pads keep your skin moist, making your nipples more sensitive to injury. Always use cotton nursing pads as they are better for your skin and the environment.
- Never use nursing pads that have a plastic layer because the plastic can cause moisture to build up and can cause fungi to grow and fissures to develop.
- Wash your nipples with water, not with soap, as soap dries the skin out, making your nipples more susceptible to fissures. Soap removes the natural protective layer on your nipples and areolas.
- Breastfeed with love
- Safe for mother and child
- For painful nipples
- Prevent and treat nipple fissures
- Prevent and treat thrush
- Comes in a glass jar, UV-protected
- For breast infections
- Active ingredients
- 100% natural, vegetal and 100% organic – no poisonous substances
- Created with expertise and love