The origins of Amanprana's Red Palm
The best source of carotenoids is red palm oilAtilla Hildmann, vegan celebrity chef and bestselling author, Germany
In recent months the origin of palm oil has been very much in the public spotlight, and rightly so. Several environmental action groups have made a telling video and provided information on palm oil production in Indonesia and Malaysia. Amanprana wholeheartedly supports this project.
The three main issues raised were:
- Rain forest is being cut down recklessly for palm industry purposes.
- Land rights of the traditional inhabitants have been ignored.
- Highly toxic insecticides have been sprayed.
Amanprana brings good news, sevenfold:
1. Amanprana's red palm oil comes from Colombia, not Malaysia and Indonesia, the countries mentioned by the various environmental action groups.
2. Amanprana's red palm oil is 100% organic, certified by Ecocert, BioSuisse, Bio (Germany), Jas (Japan) and blik (Belgium). The company producing and processing the red palm oil for Amanprana has been a 100% organic operation since 1990. Therefore no spraying with chemicals, especially the extremely noxious parquat, is allowed.
Buffaloes are the best way to transport these crops from far away plantations
The red palm fruit contrast with
the rest of the palm tree
3. The red palm supplier holds a SA 8000 certificate, issued by SGS on behalf of SA, a non-profit organisation granting certificates to companies doing business in a socially-friendly way. The certified party thus renounces child labour under 14, forced labour, discrimination and makes a formal commitment to provide a safe and healthy work environment to employees. Moreover, mental and physical punishment is banned. Workweeks are to be limited to 48 hours a week, overtime is to be paid and employees shall receive correct wages.
4. Amanprana's red palm oil supplier has entered into a partnership with 3 organisations to strive for durable rain forest management. Accordingly they have received a certificate from the US-based Rainforest Alliance (banana cultivation) and the British Proforest (palm cultivation). On top of this they meet the Rainforest regulations of the NOP (National Organic Programm) in the US.
5. The red palm oil comes from a variety of plantations, covering a total of 4,500 hectares, 2000 of which are owned by the cooperative of small independent farmers. Amanprana collects the fruit and presses them for the above cooperative.
6. Amanprana red palm oil is 100 percent traceable, all the way from the plantation to the jar.
7. Part of the red palm oil turnover is used to fund healthcare, education and infrastructure projects in the region.
Red palm from Columbia, quality for
Sliced palm fruit
The organisations backing this project believe that boycotting palm oil is not the right way to move ahead. Indeed, this would force one into switching to other oil sources, where history would repeat itself. Genetically manipulated soy, as produced in the US and Argentina, surely does not offer a better solution.
Palm production and especially oil production should be placed on a durable and ethical footing. Only through this path will there be a future. As a small business, Amanprana tries to operate as an example for the industry. Cutting down palm tree plantations to gather the materials for eco fuels at the expense of the rain forest is obviously an absurdity.
Overpopulation and growing consumption of meat and milk products lie at the root of the problem:
Many areas of Europe used to be covered mainly by forests, cut down since to accommodate cities and pastures. In many countries the ecological balance was broken a long time ago under the weight of overpopulation and the development of the meat and milk-product industries. Consuming less meat and milk products and eating more vegetables and fruit instead would dramatically reduce the acreage needed to feed people. Change begins with individuals.
- Rich in carotenes an 7 types of vitamin E
- Buy 1 litre = save 1 rainforest tree
- Healthy baking, frying and stir-frying
- Your skin tans faster and is better protected