Gula Anau (palm sugar) antioxidant level equal to 170mg vitamin C per 100g. No other cane sugar came even close according to a study of Brunei University.
I also brought a sampling of some of my favorite (top secret) (but not anymore) ingredients from Europe - Amanpana's hot cocoa mix and matcha blend, gula java coconut sugar and my favorite spice blend on planet earth, their ORAC-botanico mix that adds the most incredible flavor and boost of nutrition to every dish imaginable. They're finally available in the USA - très exciting!Rebecca Leffler, author, journalist &consultant about healthy food & lifestyle, Long time fan of the Amanprana products, New York, USA
Brunei University compared the antioxidant levels of 14 different cane and palm sugars. In 2009 they reported that gula anau (palm sugar) was the uttermost preferred sugar from an antioxidant point of view. Via cyclic voltammetric analysis (CVA), they looked for a vitamin C antioxidant equivalent in 14 cane sugars and palm sugars. CVA is a well-founded technique for electrochemical measurement of the redox potential of molecules.
They came to two conclusions:
- Most sugars contain no or very little antioxidants.
- Gula anau (palm sugar) contains many antioxidants, even 20 more antioxidant equivalents than any other raw unrefined sugar.
Read here the research report in English.
- Unrefined coconut blossom sugar
- Many antioxidants and minerals: including chromium and Inositol
- Low glycemic index of 35
- Most sustainable sugar according to the 'World Health Organisation.'